Teaching in the UK as a Career Option
Why is the UK recruiting teachers from abroad?
In a move unprecedented since the 1970s, the UK government has made it a point to increase funding for teacher recruitment abroad. This comes as a response to severe shortages of teachers in recent years. This is alongside the rise in student numbers due to a recent baby boom, and changes to the school leaving age meaning that UK children now have to stay in education or training until they are 18 years old. Key subjects in which the UK is lacking teachers are in maths and science. Recent campaigns promoting STEM subjects, particularly to young girls, have seen a rise in students interested in studying maths and science at A-Level, contributing to the need for more teachers.
If I'm a teacher from abroad, will I be guaranteed a job and a visa to work in the UK?
This is currently one of the few careers which has seen a lift on tight immigration controls, meaning that international students who want to work in the UK are able to more easily apply for an extended visa or find sponsorship from an employer. Many international students studying a Master's in Education or TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) are almost guaranteed a career and life in the UK after they graduate.
If you're an international student from outside of the UK this is the best time to apply for a UK master's degree in education!
Master's in Education Early Childhood, Maths, and Science:
· University of Northampton - MA Education (Mathematics Pathway)
· University of Worcester - MA Education (Early Childhood)
· University of Reading - MA Education Early Years
· University of Bristol - MSc Education (Mathematics Education)
· University of Exeter - MA Education: Science Education
· Anglia Ruskin University - MA Early Childhood Education
Top Master's courses in Education:
· University of Glasgow - MEd Educational Studies
· University of East Anglia - MA Education and Development
· University of Reading - MA Education (Mathematics Teaching)
· Nottingham Trent University - MA Education
· University of Northampton - MA Education (Early Years Pathway)
Top Master's courses in TESOL:
· University of Reading - MA Education (English Language Teaching)
· University of Stirling - MSc Education Studies and TESOL
· University of Bath - MA in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
· University of Kent - MA Applied Linguistics for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
Students from the US and Canada may find it easiest to get into master's degree courses in education, due to English being their first language. If you are an American or Canadian student interested in pursuing a teaching career in the UK, please contact our North American advisor Jessica, on email@example.com.
If you are an international student from a country other than the US or Canada, who would like to pursue a master's in education at a UK university, please get in touch! Team AppUK counsellors are here to help with any questions you may have, and can be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org.
ApplicationUK's easy-to-use online application portal provides a simple solution to postgraduate application stress. With its smart digital self-assessment tool, personalised application plan, and application tracking system, you can be rest assured that your application will go through smoothly. Our experienced counsellors are also here to provide expert advice, reassurance, and continuous support.
Work with us as a Student Amba...
UK Postgraduate Courses with J...
2018 University Admissions: Wh...
AppUK FAQs: Personal Bank Stat...
The Full UK Master's Applicati...
Why Should I Study for a Maste...
UK Student Societies: Which On...
The International Student Expe...
AppUK Tours: Student Accommoda...
Top Tips for a Stress Free Exa...